Hello, Fourth Graders!
Below are some ideas to try if you feel kind of stuck! We’ve all felt this way before, and it’s totally normal. I’ll be adding ideas to this page as often as possible, but feel free to create your own list, too, or to try a combination of lists. Once you start brainstorming, I bet you won’t be able to stop! Enjoy, and let me (Ms. O’Gara) know via the Contact form or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any suggestions!
Ideas if you need to do something physical/need some fresh air:
- See how may (jumping jacks) you can do in 30 seconds. Estimate how many you can do in 2 minutes. Time yourself for 2 minutes and count the number of jumping jacks you actually did. Compare the difference –how many more or less? Track your findings over the course of a week to see what your daily average is.
- Go on a Sound Scavenger Hunt!
- Build an indoor or outdoor obstacle course (just check with an adult to make sure this is okay).
- Build an indoor or outdoor fort.
- Revisit Mrs. Cimino’s PE ideas.
- Think about how far/fast you can run. If you were to go out your front door and run around your house for 5 minutes, where do you think you would end up? Do a trial for 1 minute and then estimate where you will end up after 5 minutes of running. Give it a try! How far off were you for your estimation? Keep track of how far you ran on day 1. Try this for a week and see if the amount of area you cover is the same each day. Where would you end up if you ran in a different direction?
- Try a movement break!
- Turn on your favorite music and have a dance party, and make sure to invite your family members to join!
- Ride a bike, scooter, skateboard, etc. Rollerblade, roller skate, jump rope, chalk up your driveway, play hopscotch, or take a walk around your neighborhood (with an adult)….there are so many outdoor options!
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt; how many items can you find? Try making your own list, too!
- Take a look at the clouds; can you see any shapes? Try to describe them to a family member!
- With an adult, plant some flowers, fruits, or vegetables.
- Help around the yard: pull weeds, rake leaves, wash the car, wipe down patio chairs….I’m sure everyone in your family would be very appreciative!
Ideas if you like art projects/drawing:
- Draw a detailed map of your bedroom. Can you draw things in your bedroom “to scale”? Next, try your house, yard, or even your neighborhood!
- Try one of these amazing chalk projects or games!
- Comic book artist Jarrett Lerner created a whole page of activities for doodlers.
- Artist and blogger Keri Smith posts cool journal prompts and art activities daily on her blog.
- Try a silly drawing prompt!
- Get crafty with one of these fun art ideas!
- Re-visit Ms. Beaudry’s Art Choice Board.
- Draw a self-portrait, or have your family members pose for you. FYI: Portraits make great gifts, too!
- Explore the amazing world of photography! Learn the basics here, and then try your hand at a specific project. The sky is the limit!
- Paint is versatile, and can be used for so many things! With parental permission, give it a go!
- Build an elf/fairy house!
Ideas If You Want to Go on an Adventure:
- Write or draw about a trip you would love to take. Look at maps online. How would you get there? What would you need to bring? How much would it cost? Plan out your perfect trip! 🙂
- Make a travel brochure for a dream destination
- Check out this Virtual Harry Potter Escape Room…. yup, you read that correctly! So neat!
- Disney is closed, but you can still go on “rides” via these fun videos: Splash Mountain, TTA People Mover, The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Peter Pan’s Flight , Slinky Dog Dash, It’s a Small World, and Frozen Ever After
- Go on virtual “tours” of the world’s most famous museums here: Museum Tours
- Visit the zoo from home! The San Diego Zoo is offering free webcam footage of some pretty cute animals: Zoo Cams
- You can also visit the aquarium via cams: Monterey Bay Cams
- Go on a field trip with Discovery Education!You can visit anywhere from the tundra to an NFL training camp!
- Have you ever wanted to visit the Grand Canyon, or other wonders of the world? Now you can! Go on a virtual field trip to places around the globe here.